What is the significance of SO and HSS bags at Podium?
Before attending semi-once-a-year Podium, Each individual shop is allotted a particular amount of so-referred to as “Specific Get” (SO) luggage. They are typically restricted to Birkins, Kellys and Constances, and also have a Horseshoe stamped next to the Hermès identify over the entrance, hence currently being know by Hermès afficiandos as “HSS” baggage. Baggage manufactured in accordance with VIP shopper requests dates again for generations, but it really wasn’t right until these choice objects had been marked Using the now-famed Horseshoe stamp, around ten a long time in the past, that they earned their Status.
Considering that HSS baggage are minimal in availability, customers will vie (generally by buying a large amount of other Hermès merchandise) for the opportunity to be among the People chosen for this privilege.
How the customization process works?
Each and every bag is intended via the client While using the support of his/her Sales Associate, authorised by The shop’s Manager and Hermès corporate. The corporate provides A selection of selections by color and leather, but In spite of this limitation, the endeavor of designing a customized bag might be challenging. As an example, HSS orders placed in June 2017, could select two colors outside of twenty when they ideal Epsom leather. Which means there were 380 permutations for the outside alone.
The choice procedure could be fairly nerve-racking, not just because of the selections but will also due to the fact some mixtures transform out very interesting, while some aren’t so pleasing. Moreover, selected mixtures become quite coveted and carry substantial rates in the secondary marketplace, while some are not. Hermès purchasers change on-line to view mixtures in prior decades, together with discuss the probabilities amid them selves. The 2 months primary as much as Podium become a frenzy.
For each special order bag, the client must choose the following:
- Bag types: Birkin, Kelly (sellier or retourne) or Constance.
- Bag sizes: Birkins and Kellys from petite 25cm to the workhorse 40cm; Constances from 18cm to 24cm.
- Bag leathers or skins: Most clients are limited to leather bags and can elect from the various types offered by Hermès. Today, the most popular are Epsom, Chevre, Togo, and Clemence. The most favored customers can order bi-color crocodile or ostrich.
- Bag colors: HSS bags must be made of two colors (with a few exceptions). Over the years, Hermès has limited the color options but the combinations as stated above is still daunting.
- Color arrangement: Once the colors are chosen, the client needs to decide which one is the primary color and which one is the accent. Clients can have the bag be entirely in one color with the accent color on the inside; the outside of the bag can have hints of the accent color just on the piping or straps; or the bag can be bi-colored with the accent color on handles, straps, and sides.
- Bag stitching: Clients need to select the color of the stitching and its placement. Tonal colors mean the stitching will be the same color as the leather, (i.e. black leather with, say, white accents will have black stitching). Alternatively, the client could select contrast stitching on all or part of the bag (i.e. black leather with white accents will have white stitching). The client may elect a combination of contrast and tonal stitching (i.e. adding black stitching to the white leather and keeping the black stitching on the black leather). Finally, an adventurous client might decide to use a totally different color stitching on parts of the bag, such as opting for pink stitching on the white leather.
- Bag hardware: Clients can choose from gold and brushed gold or palladium and brushed palladium. We understand that rose gold has become another hardware option. While the brushed options are not as bright, it tends to resist scratches and has become a favorite among VIP buyers.
- Bag interiors: The bag interior is always in Chevre. Typically, the interior is in the accent color, but the client can choose the primary color as the interior color. Clients also have the option of modifying the pockets inside the bag.
- Strap length: It is our understanding that 2021 Hermes bags will be offering long straps on Special Order Kelly bags to enable them to be crossbody.
Last but not least, after recorded, the ultimate design must be submitted for approval. If it doesn’t go muster, then its back on the drafting board or the choice for an HSS is misplaced until eventually another period.
Once accredited as well as purchase has actually been placed, it can take numerous months to several decades right up until the bag reaches the customer’s arms (exotic skins are one of the most time-consuming, and are already regarded to acquire up to three years right until completion).
To make certain, the ultimate product or service is rather Exclusive. Due to their uniqueness and beauty, these baggage market in a higher quality within the secondary market. New bi-coloration kellys and birkins in Epsom leather have offered for near $40,000, whilst bi-color crocodile kellys and birkins have exceeded $one hundred,000 to the client.